Saturday, June 18, 2011

Paul Baker & Shauna Sweeney: Two Talented Singer/Songwriters Share the Stage for a Rare Performance Fit for a King



Paul is the kind of guy who smiles as he speaks.  I know this to be true because on the night we met, plenty of good conversation was shared and he was pretty much cheesin' the whole time. Kind of reminded me of when my mother scared me into believing my face would freeze up if I kept making funny faces.  However, in this case Paul's cheese face wasn't exactly funny and I got the impression it had much less to do with past parental falsehoods than it did with the current topic of conversation.

Paul shared his love for songwriting and his story of growing up in a tight musical household while schooling me on the contents of a quality hand-crafted beer.  His father is a sound engineer with an in house studio who played in church when Paul was young and his mom a cute little Latin percussionist who would sometimes perform on the road with him. Paul wears his heart on his tatted sleeve and I knew right away I was kickin' it with a genuinely good dude.  A singer-songwriter with a generous, bleeding heart that in the end stopped me as I reached for my wallet to pay my tab.  It was a slow night at the bar, yet we each walked out with a bit more than we had when we walked in that day; at least I did.

Most people live out there entire lives without ever discovering their true passion.  But within seconds of meeting Paul, one cannot avoid discovering his...honest, unadulterated, bare boned music. Raw feelings put to a melody and manifested through song...lyrics that transfer emotion, transcend the limits of conversation and transport the listener, whether he knows it, likes it or not to a much better place.  I hadnt even heard a single note at that point, not a bloody lyric and already, I was a fan.

The text read "If you want to hear a power duet you should be there by 9pm". It seemed like a pretty bold statement, but coming from Paul, I took it more as a promise.  I walked into the Kingshead Pub for the third time expecting and wanting to hear more of what I heard twice before; Paul pouring his heart and soul out for 20 some odd locals in a bar he's performed at four years running, savoring a bottle of Twisted Thistle while singing every lyric with the conviction of a man on fire and nothing to lose. To my pleasant surprise, I got all of that and plenty more.

Right away, as I entered the bar I was overcome by a warm familiar vibe, almost as if I had just walked into the home of an old friend I hadnt seen in a while.  It was barely 9pm and the bar was packed to the gills.  As usual, Paul greeted me with a smile and a 2 second man-hug. While sipping on my ice cold Siera Nevada, I listened as he tried prepping me for what was about to happen....and then........it happened. 


It began with Shauna Sweeney, a singer-songwriter, musician from Lake Worth, FL who wrote her first song at the age of 5. Shauna is the personification of sunshine.  Like a 60's lovechild high on life, she exuded a genuine kindness more commonly found in children and my 80 year old grandmother; yet of course she neither looked or smelled like either one of them (and I mean that in a good way).

Introducing herself with a disarming charm Ive only encountered in the deep South..(and I don't mean Homestead), Shauna overlooked the oil stain on my bargain store DKNY shirt and complimented the silhouette skyline on my chest just before making her way over to join Paul Baker for a performance that would illuminate the room, capturing the attention of everyone in it like moths to a flame.

They opened with Paul Baker's "So I Can Breathe", a heartwrenching tale of a brokenhearted man, gasping for air after the woman he loves knocks the wind out of his heart. Not sure whether Paul penned this song after his own experience, but he certainly sang like he did and I must admit, I felt his pain....deep enough in fact, to step it up a notch with a Torpedo in a bottle.  Shauna's sweet vocals were the bright voice of hope offsetting the sorrow in Paul's lyrics as he begged for her to just pick up the phone one more time, just one last time, so he can finally, well...breathe.

They closed with a shiny happy song about a relationship that actually stood the course.  "These Days" was written on the roof of Paul's house while in the company of his best friend and current roomate James Wight, an ultra-talented illustrator and graphic artist.  The song celebrates the good times shared between friends and reminds us to cherish those times, for "These are the Days That We Live For".  An instant mood enhancer, this song has been on heavy rotation in my mental jukebox for the last few days, and I havent come down since!

As expected, Paul delivered on his promise.  Shauna and Paul are indeed a power duet as they compliment one another very well and seem to share a genuine love for each other both on and off stage. They have an equal love and respect for their craft and it is apparent that neither one of them could ever see themselves doing anything else.  It is my hope that they will make it a point to perform again real soon.  Until then I will be counting "These Days" until "Another Day" when Paul and Shauna come together on stage again.

For more of Paul Baker visit:

Paul Baker Music
Paul Baker's Reverbnation Page
Paul Bakers Facebook Page

For more of Shauna Sweeney visit:

Shauna Reverbnation Page
Shaunas Facebook Page

www.kingsheadpubsunrise.com

RICH ROX: Juke Box, Juice Box Junkie

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I hear them sing together, time stops and I melt realizing I'm listening to the best I've ever heard and ever will hear. I dare you to prove me wrong!

    ReplyDelete