Saturday, June 11, 2011

Resonance: Still Resonating Long After the Bar Has Closed

I meant to arrive before they took the stage, but ended up showing up 20 minutes or so into their first set thanks to my three year olds sudden interest in where I was going.  How he manages to ask 36 renditions of the same question never ceases to amaze me.  But what amazed me even more was walking into Rachel Isla's flawless rendition of Christina Perri's Jar of Hearts.

A crooner with strong pipes and incredible control, Rachel owned that song letting me know right away that I was in for an exciting musical experience.  I walked into Stage 84 feeling a bit underdressed for the occassion in my t-shirt and shorts, as Resonance seems to attract a beautiful and sophisticated group of wine sippers in the 30-40+ age range.  Underdressed, but not out of place as it was clear I shared a common interest with everyone in attendance; quality spirits and great music.

Michael Isla's extraordinary, high-energy guitar playing was a great contrast to Rachels smooth vocals.  A master guitarist, Michael comandeered the stage, capturing everyones attention with a solo that made me forget I was sitting in a little bar in Davie Florida. He took us all on a musical magic carpet ride with an unforgettable performance that blended classical with rock and spanish guitar styles seemlessly and effortlessly.

The percussion of Eduardo Lis tied it all together with tight, syncopated cajon drum rythms injecting sonic jazzy soul into my freshly q-tipped ears.  Ed's rhythmic patterns coupled with the great chemistry and talent shared between Michal and Rachel made for an explosively delicious concoction of both popular and original songs expressed with a fresh sound that will forever resonate in my minds ear.

BTW.  Their cover of Tool's "Sober" will blow you away!

- RICH ROX: Rock & Soul Mind Control

Click in the following links for more on RESONANCE:

The Resonance Facebook Page
YouTube Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment